Saturday, January 24, 2009

Evidence of the Ever-Decreasing Intelligence of the Average Person

Retail management brings it's share of surprises, since dealing with the general public is always unpredictable because people are CRAZY. Got a complaint today from a customer who was horrified that the cashier "licked her fingers" to separate the bags (those things stick together somethin' fierce). She then proceeded to rant and rave about how she didn't want to get salmonella from the cashier's saliva and how it can spread all kinds of disease and how next time she'll yell at the top of her lungs in the store if it happens again. She claimed it happened 9 out of 10 times she visited my store and Harmons, yet didn't bother to take down a name and refused to "single anyone out" when I asked her who it was. This is what I deal with on a daily basis...

First of all, CRAZY LADY, salmonella is spread through eating or touching contaiminated FOOD. Not through people's saliva. Bag lickin' cashiers, while really gross and completely unacceptable, are NOT going to give you salmonella unless they rub their hands around in contaminated raw chicken and then you EAT the plastic bag they touched. Allow a wikipedia reference here:

The type of salmonella usually associated with infections in humans is called Non-Typhoidal Salmonella. It is usually contracted by ingesting raw or undercooked eggs, or from sources such as:
- Poultry, pork, and cattle, if the meat is prepared incorrectly or somehow becomes infected with the bacteria.
- Infected eggs and milk, as well as egg products, when not prepared, handled, or refrigerated properly.
- Reptiles such as turtles, lizards, and snakes, as they can carry the bacteria on their skin.
- Pet
rodents

And really, do you need to call and complain about something like that? Have some balls and tell the cashier if you are a germaphobe, or call the supervisor over so they can address it. Calling two days later to tell give some vague details about this "potential epidemic" (her words, not mine) isn't going to help anyone solve it.

So, I beg you customers of retail stores everywhere: I cannot help you if you won't tell me who did it. If you care that much, you'll spill. It's not like they would EVER know it was you. AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO COMPLAIN, CHECK YOUR FRIGGIN' FACTS FIRST!

1 comment:

laninaki said...

I can't even count how many times I've seen a cashier or bagger lick their fingers before grabbing the bag. Am I disgusting for never even thinking twice about it? Sure...I don't exactly want their saliva on me, but that's what hand sanitizer is for.