I work with a fairly new guy who's originally from Brazil. He speaks REALLY good English, but there truly are many things "lost in translation" with him. Usually, we get a good laugh from some of the stuff he says, and he'll laugh with us, of course. Monday night, he said the funniest thing I may have ever heard... but first, a little background:
One of my co-workers, Angela, recently came back from maternity leave. Angela used to commute from Logan, and driving through Sardine Canyon can be risky with all the wildlife. Angela apparently has a built-in homing device for wild animals and has turned just about every native Utah species into roadkill. And I'm not making that up - there was a morning she came to work with deer fur embedded in the side of her car from a fatal run-in with Bambi. She still hasn't lived that one down. She also has this horrible, yet hilariously ridiculous story she tells about running over a family of cats. Yes, I said FAMILY. Apparently, the momma cat and the kittens were trying to cross the road, and along came Angela, so of course, kittens went flying everywhere and Angela was horrified and upset. And she has TONS more stories involving things like porcupines, or even one story when she hit herself with her own car and broke her collarbone... We're constantly teasing her about it. So, getting to the point, to welcome her back from maternity leave, we decorated her office with all kinds of crazy stuff that reminds us of her. I found some sweet clipart of a smashed up car and a bunch of different cats and hung it up on her wall for everyone to see the reinactment of the family of cats incident.
So, as we're doing this, one of the other girls and I are talking to my Brazilian co-worker about all these stories about what animals Angela's killed with her car, etc. He's heard some of them before, so he jumps in with, "Yeah, I heard about the time she hit a SKANK."
Silence.
We burst into hysterics. "Do you mean SKUNK?" I asked him. "Because a SKANK is something entirely different."
"Oh, yeah, those two are always confusing me, SKUNK and SKANK," he replies.
And then, it gets even better. Apparently the Brazilian used to work in some cubicle-farm office, so he tells us a story from when he worked there. He said he came into the office one day and something smelled bad, so he said "Man, it smells like a SKANK in here." And apparently everyone overheard... LOL.
I'm still laughing about it...
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment